Friday, July 10, 2015

Handlebar Reach – Getting the Cockpit Dialed In

I’ve been thinking a lot about handlebar reach recently. Probably a bit too much; but this is the kind of topic I really like to geek-out on. The reason this has been on my mind was due to my new race-bike build, just completed by the talented guys at Kissing Crows Cyclery. This bike was built with a very specific purpose: to replicate my track bike for local road and criterium races. I primarily train as a track cyclist, having made the switch from endurance racer to track sprinter in January. Due to my focus on track sprinting, my road racing has been pretty limited this year; basically I’ve only competed in road races without a lot of climbing and in our weekly crits. My road training has been dialed back as well, with long rides limited to 2-3 hours max. Since I spend most of my time on my track bike and I’m quite comfortable with the fit of that bike. Furthermore, since I knew I wouldn’t need the comfort for long distance rides and races, I decided to replicate my track bike for the road. I started this build with a Cinelli Experience frame. I’m quite happy with how it turned out, as I feel it really captures the feel of a track bike. I’ll post a full review of this bike soon, but today I just want to focus on the handlebars and their reach. We can talk a bit about drop too.

The bars I decided to go with for this build were 37cm Nitto B105AA. Nitto is a fantastic company; they make high quality components for both modern bikes and also for more traditional builds. They also make a number of components for the Keirin racers in Japan. On my track bike, I use the traditional CroMo Nitto B123 track bars. These bars are also 37cm. I know this is quite narrow from a road perspective, but it fits with a shift in recent years among track sprinters to using narrow bars. There are several arguments for this, including narrowing the racer’s profile to increase aerodynamics, allowing the racer to take smaller gaps, and allowing the racer to release more explosive energy in a forward motion due to the highly concentrated focal point created by narrow bars. I find all of these arguments compelling to varying degrees, especially the final point. Since I personally have a relatively narrow body frame, I find a narrower bar allows me to propel my energy in a forward, in particular during standing starts. A standing start, where a racer explodes out of a gate from a dead stop to top (or near top) speed as quickly as possible, is a necessary skill for a track sprinter to develop. My start has improved since I’ve switched from a 40cm bar to my current 37cm bar. I now feel like my arms envelop the bar; that I have more control and dominant power in my starts. Since I often practice standing starts on the road, from a slow roll or track stand instead of from a gate, I decided that my first priority when it came to bars would be to find bars of the same width; the B105AA fit the bill.

I was so concerned with width, I didn’t actually think too much about the other dimensions of the bars. I did give some consideration to drop, again, in an attempt to replicate my track bars. I wanted a deep drop and at 135mm, I figured these bars would work. What I didn’t think about, until Josh and Adam from Kissing Crows pointed it out to me, was that these bars had a very “old-school” long reach at 95mm. We discussed the fact that in recent years, manufactures have shifted to making bars with shorter reach, as head tubes have shortened and hoods have lengthened. The bars I was putting on my bike were of similar dimensions to what you would have last seen in the 1990s. Having overlooked this critical element of my carefully considered new build, I was very concerned! With a bit of further research, I uncovered a 2011 article from Bicycling Australia by renowned bike fitter Steve Hogg, titled “Get a Grip.” In this article, Hogg addresses to role of reach in handlebar fit. Hogg is an advocate for shorter reach bars, as he says this helps riders avoid hitting their forearms on the tops when sprinting from the drops.  He also advocates for short reach combined with short drop benefiting the overall fit of both flexible and inflexible riders. Needless to say, this wasn’t reassuring me.

I decided to still go ahead with these bars, as they were still the only bars I could find in the width I was looking for. On my first ride, I was ready to see if I had made a big mistake in my bar choice! I initially spent some time riding on the hoods. As anticipated, I was a bit more stretched out in this position due to the long reach. My extension, however, was not as extreme as expected. Furthermore, I discovered an unexpected benefit which Steve Hogg didn’t address in his article. The longer reach allowed me to get my forearms a little lower on the bars, into the hoods. I believe this could provide an aerodynamic benefit in races, especially in small-group and solo breaks where a steady-state aerodynamic position is essential. That said, I could see my position on the hoods being somewhat uncomfortable on very long rides and races, but, as I’ve said, this is not what this bike was built for. After some extensive riding on the hoods, I decided to experiment in the drops, as this is the position that was most important to me. It would be critical to have a good position in the drops both for my sprint workouts and for racing in crits. I’m happy to report that bars ride amazingly well in the drops. Since the bars are narrow, my forearms are actually somewhat angled outwards during an out of the saddle sprint which helps avoid forearm contact. Furthermore, the bars have a relatively deep drop which also helps to keep my forearms away from the tops. I have not had any forearm contact with the tops during hard sprinting. These bars feel very similar to the bars on my track bike; for my purposes, I’m very happy with this setup.

Forearm contact is something, unfortunately, I have experienced before. My “secondary” bike, a steel Torelli, is currently setup with 42cm FSA SLK carbon bars. These bars have an 80mm reach and a compact 125mm drop. What I now realize is this is essentially the worst of both worlds for a sprint-focused setup. The longer reach and compact drop virtually ensure sore forearms after a sprint; these bars would benefit from adopting the shorter reach advocated by Steve Hogg.

I am by no means an experienced bike fitter, but I think for my admittedly particular bike build, I’ve found an unusual cockpit setup that works well. Overall, at this point I’m pleased to have the longer reach for better aerodynamics when riding on the hoods, and the deep drop for sprinting out of the saddle. These dimensions are great for a sprint-focused, full-out race bike. 
My Nitto bars, ready to sprint
Interestingly, I think one of my biggest discoveries is how ill-suited my FSA SLK bars are for my riding style on my “secondary” bike. In fact, that I’m considering replacing those bars. I think I may take some of Steve Hogg’s advice this time, however, and use a shorter reach bar. I ride that bike longer distances, spending more time on the hoods, so I think this will result in a more comfortable setup and better overall fit for this bike. I will still look for a bar with a deeper drop though, as a deep drop is both my preferred sprinting setup and that bike, being older, also has a longer head tube. I’ll report back on how that setup works out in a future post.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts about handlebar reach, please leave your comments below. 1,300 words are simply not enough on such an important topic!




On a side note, you may have noticed that this is only the second post on this blog and the first post in almost a year. It’s been a slow start, but I hope to post to this blog on a regular basis going forward. Hopefully, you will also start to hear from some of our other Reds as well. This blog will contain a mix of information, from race reports to gear reviews to the type of tangents and niche analysis you see above. Anything that could be important to a grass-roots bike racer will be addressed!



References:

Get a Grip - https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/GET-A-GRIP.pdf

From Wide to Narrow: Professional Track Racer's Bars - http://theradavist.com/2010/12/from-wide-to-narrow-professional-track-racers-bars/

No comments:

Post a Comment